Defeated by a free-wheel for the first time in my life! The wretched thing just wouldn’t turn no matter what I did! The hub was made in 1933 and the free-wheel could well have been fitted at around that time. It had to come off and I tried every trick that I knew (and I know quite a few) but unfortunately it just wouldn’t budge. It was finally removed by a blacksmith who knew a few tricks that I didn’t know and also had access to a lathe and the skill to use it.
The hub was returned to me in pieces, which saved me from having to dismantle it 🙂
The internal components were in very good condition with just a few imperfections on the edges of the planet pinions.
I rebuilt the hub lubricated and adjusted it, then bench-tested it to find that it would not engage low gear. After some research I discovered that the indicator spring was incorrect so I replaced it with the correct spring and it now works perfectly.