Over the years Sturmey Archer has made many different geared hubs and other hubs.
I am able to repair and restore most Sturmey Archer hubs. Please contact me for more details.
Here is a list of some of the hubs and some notes about them.
Sturmey Archer AW *
- This what most people think of when Sturmey Archer hubs are mentioned. It has been in production since 1936 and has the longest production of any hub gear. It is a 3-speed wide ratio hub and has a very simple and reliable design. Mainly used in commuter and children’s bicycles. If you are interested in learning about hub gear repairs, this is where you start.
Sturmey Archer AM *
- Almost identical in design to the AW except it has compound pinions. The pinions have timing marks which must be set correctly for the hub to function properly and to avoid serious damage. If you are unable to obtain an original toggle chain/indicator rod you can change the axle key for the AW version and use an AW toggle chain.
Sturmey Archer FW *
- A four speed hub which has compound pinions similar to, but not interchangeable with the AM. This hub has two sliding sun-pinions.
Sturmey Archer S5 *
- A five speed hub which was developed in the 1960s and based on the FW. Many parts are interchangeable with the FW although the axle in later hubs (S52) is of a slightly different design and so is not interchangeable.
Sturmey Archer S3C
- A 3 speed hub with a coaster (back pedaling) brake. This is one of the most complicated hubs made by Sturmey Archer. It has a lot of unique parts which are not compatible with other hubs.
Sturmey Archer SW *
- A 3 speed hub which was to replace the AW. It was unsuccessful due to production tolerances which were not close enough for reliable operation. No parts can be substituted from other models so parts for this hub are very scarce. Springless pawls make this hub almost silent in use, but also make it very unreliable.
Sturmey Archer GH6 Dynohub
This is a front hub which includes a 6 volt dynamo generator to run cycle lights. Earlier models were GH12 and GH8 which had 12 volt and 8 volt generators respectively.
Sturmey Archer AG * and FG *
These are the AW and FW hubs combined with a 6 volt dynamo.
These are heavier than the equivalent Sturmey Archer hub used with a standard bottle dynamo arrangement, but offer a lot less rolling resistance than the bottle dynamo.
Sturmey Archer AB *
This is the AW hub combined with an expanding hub brake.
All of the hubs marked with an asterisk (*) are covered in great detail in the Colwood Wheel Works Sturmey Archer Course